Rock The Block - 93 adults & 176 children now live in affordable Habitat homes!
56 families have purchased Wichita Habitat homes in Rock the Block, an area bounded by Ninth and 13th streets and Hillside and Grove streets.
This milestone is possible because of numerous, generous partnerships with local non-profits, private and public investors as well as the City of Wichita and the A. Price Woodard Neighborhood Association. Our goal is that quality housing will be the anchor of a broader transformation.
The impacts are huge:
- 60+ families - that include 176 children and 93 adults- now live in safe, affordable housing in the Rock the Block neighborhood!
- 8 blighted properties removed.
- Two blocks of Poplar and one block of Estelle are now more than 60 percent owner-occupied.
- $126,110 - Total property taxes paid by Wichita Habitat homeowners (2014-2018) in Rock the Block.
- New three-bedroom Habitat home appraised for $76,000 in 2014. Homes estimated to appraise for $84,000 in 2019, an increase of about 10.5 percent.
- $2.4 million in private funds invested in the neighborhood.
Creating community engagement through volunteer opportunities:
- More than 97,110 volunteer hours since 2014
- Value of volunteer hours estimated at $2,153,134