Construction volunteers work under the supervision of our construction staff and core volunteers to build our homes. Come by yourself or with a group of friends or co-workers. Participants must be 16 or older, but no experience is required. You can bring your own tools or use ours! Register here.
The work on any given date depends solely on what the project calls for with each day’s activities progress subject to weather conditions, our subcontractors’ availability, the diverse skill levels of our volunteers and other unexpected changes. Tasks will vary from framing to siding to hanging drywall to painting to installation of flooring, cabinets, trim or landscaping (and anything else that comes in between). Sometimes weather doesn’t cooperate, a task doesn’t go according to plan or we need to refocus our efforts. Either way, we’ll make it work and hope you will too!
Typical Day on Wichita Habitat Service Site
Volunteers are asked to avoid parking directly in front of the service site, as material trucks may need to pull in. Please use the good neighbor policy and do not park in front of anyone’s driveway or mailbox.
- Closed-toe tennis shoes or boots are required
- Clothes you don’t mind getting dirty are strongly encouraged
- Light colored, cotton clothing and a hat are recommended for the summer
- Layered clothing is recommended for the winter
- Jewelry is discouraged as it can get damaged or lost very easily
- Please do not bring: purses, pets or children
7:45 a.m. – 8:00 a.m. – Volunteer Check-in and Registration
- Please arrive by 8 am, dressed appropriately, prepared for the weather and ready to work! Our staff works tirelessly to get families into their homes on time, and ask all volunteers commit a full day when volunteering. Early/late departures break project momentum.
- Sign in, make a nametag and await further instructions