Own a Home
Attend a ZOOM meeting. You must register first to receive a link. You'll get a confirmation email telling you how to join the meeting.
Homeownership leads to stability and success.
Children do better in school, finally having a neighborhood they can call their own. Families are able to start saving money and purchase a reliable car. That's been Cherity's experience: “Having this house has changed everything,” Cherity says. The family moved constantly before purchasing their Habitat home. “My kids never had a home. They never had a street where they could play with their friends. They have that now.”
“This home is teaching my children how to become good men,” Cherity says. “You can’t do that unless you have a basic foundation and Habitat gave us that.”
Wichita Habitat for Humanity partners with people in Sedgwick County who are interested in improving their lives through homeownership. Our homeownership program offers qualified homebuyers free hands-on training to be a successful homeowner, the opportunity for a 20-30 year affordable mortgage, and continued support including home maintenance advice and financial guidance after purchasing your home.
Steps to Homeownership
1. Determine your eligibility.
- Need for housing: Crowded, substandard, or cost-burdensome living conditions.
- Ability to pay: Steady income to be able to pay the 0% interest mortgage and living expenses. Household income must be between 35-80% of the median income for Sedgwick County.
- Willingness to partner: Complete 250-400 hours of sweat equity hours, volunteering on construction site and attending homebuyer education classes.
2. Schedule an informational meeting.
3. Complete the application process. There are two options for submitting your application:
- Online Application
- Please complete the application process online by clicking here.
- Print Application
- Click here to print an application, or click here for a Spanish application. Turn in your application and all required documents.
- Bring your application, supporting documents and pay the credit report fee $35 (non-refundable fee) to our office 130 E Murdock Wichita, KS 67214
- Required documents to turn in with your application.
4. What happens next?
- After you have submitted your application, we will complete a financial review. If you qualify, we will schedule a home visit to verify need for housing. If approved, you will attend a New Homebuyer Orientation meeting. If you don’t initially qualify for the program we can assist you through our Heading Home program which is a preparedness program to help you and your family become more financially stable through financial education and one-on one budget coaching sessions.
- Start your partnership with Wichita Habitat for Humanity. You will attend Homebuyer Education classes and complete 250-400 hours of sweat equity. Save money for closing costs and emergency fund, and get one-on-one support to help you reach your financial and homeownership goals.
- When you complete 50% of your sweat equity hours, save at least 50% of closing costs and meet conditions of acceptance if any, you will be eligible for a land offer. (Time of land offer is based on lot availability and build schedule).
- When your home is completed and suitable for occupancy, and you have completed all sweat equity hours and homebuyer education classes, saved 100% of closing costs and have met all conditions and requirements, you will move into your home!
The application process takes approximately 60 days. Once approved it takes between 8 to 18 months to complete the entire process, from the date you are accepted into the program to the day we hand you the keys to your home.
Sedgwick County Median
|Household Size||Gross Annual Income|
|1||$20,790 - $47,520|
|2||$23,765 - $54,320|
|3||$26,740 - $61,120|
|4||$29,680 - $67,840|
|5||$32,060 - $73,280|
|7||$36,820 - $84,160|
|8||$39,200 - $89,600|
Heading Home Program
If you aren’t quite sure if you’re financially ready to buy a home or don’t qualify when you apply to buy a home through Wichita Habitat for Humanity, you can join our Heading Home program for one-on-one support to take you through the steps of preparing to buy a house. Contact us at 316-269-0755 and let us know you want to learn the skills necessary to be a homeowner.
Frequently Asked Questions
We build quality, energy efficient homes in eye-catching styles that vary among our different neighborhoods, but they’re all built with the same high standards of excellence.
Wichita Habitat for Humanity is proud that we have been building Energy Star certified homes since 2007. These homes are 20-30% more efficient than standard homes, which significantly reduces our homeowners’ electric bills. Monthly utilities for gas and electric bills combined in a Habitat home average $150.
The certification requires the following:
- Effective Insulation Systems
- Efficient Heating and Cooling Equipment
- ENERGY STAR Qualified Lighting and Appliances
- High-Performance Windows
- Tight Construction and Ducts
The size of the home depends upon the number of people in the household. Our two, three, four and five bedrooms are comfortable and affordable to meet the needs of your family,
We're having virtual information meetings at this time
Everyone's health and safety are our priorities right now so our offices are closed and we are not holding public information meetings. HOWEVER, we now offer virtual information meetings where you can learn about our affordable homeownership program.
Please email [email protected] and she will assist you.